Tuesday, December 9, 2008

English recap

I remember when I first signed up for this course it was because I had a very hard teacher over the summer and failed the course. I tried not to end up with an eight-week course but I signed up and did my financial aid late so all of my classes were dropped. I just had a feeling that this course would be very hard because of how short it was but in the end I ended up being proved wrong. I also thought because the class was three hours long I would be sleep and that the teacher was going to be this boring old man who made us write pointless assignments every class. Instead on the very first day Paul fooled everyone by coming to the class as if he was a regular student and sat in the class like one for a good 10 minutes. He had me fooled because he looked just like a student. From there I had a feeling that I would like the class. The people in our class kept it lively and kept me paying attention. The first day watched ‘Super Size Me’. We often had open discussions about topics to help us better understand the concept of different things. Paul was humorous and keeps things interesting for an English teacher. The assignments were never to boring either. They were things I could relate with. I noticed that even before we started the course when we had to write something about if we were a super hero. The assignment was interesting and was a decent length. The class was entertaining and kept me awake because of Paul and our classmates; there was usually never a dull moment. The only thing that bothered me from time to time was the time we had to get assignments done and how many assignments we had to keep track of at one time. Sometimes everything felt scattered and I would find myself confused for a second. The presentations we were assigned to do were not hard and I could choose something that I was interested in talking about. Another thing that helped me in this class is the open discussions. A lot of times I would read the stories assigned for homework and didn’t quite understand them by the we would get in class the next day and discuss the story everything became quite clear. From being in this class I can say that I have become a better editor. I did not understand why we did peer editing at first but in the end I realized how much of a help it can be. I also have learned how to make a blog. I am pretty computer literate but I never made a blog until this class. Even though I will probably never make a blog after this class again at least I can say Paul taught me how. To sum this all up, being in this English class has been a good experience for me and if given the opportunity I would take Paul next semester for English.

No comments:

Post a Comment